FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: April 22, 2021
Media Contact: Sam Workman: 757-926-3785; email@example.com
Last night, the second set of finalists for the 2021 Start Peninsula was announced following an online Micro Pitch Competition. The finalists were EWedded, eZverifi and Spellcross. In total, nine pitchers participated.
- EWedded is an e-commerce platform for brands and businesses in the wedding industry creating increased business opportunities and sustainable practices for wedding gowns. Consumers are able to have a customized experience and purchase the dress of their dreams.
- eZverifi is the first consumer device verification service allowing consumer protection from other consumers through identity verification. eZverifi utilizes existing data to confirm a specific device ID is linked to a specific person. The device database has over six billion registered devices.
- Spellcross is a mobile app that allows for augmented reality dueling between players utilizing spellcasting and wizardry as the primary themes.
Each finalist will receive a $500 prize and the chance to participate in the Wednesday, November 3rd Main Pitch Event where they will have an opportunity to win $5,000 to support their business growth and continuing access to local resources.
The next Start Peninsula Micro Pitch Competition will be held on Wednesday, September 15th. Early stage businesses are invited to apply to participate. The Final Micro Pitch Competition will be held on October 6th.
Judges for the second Micro Pitch Competition included:
- Jeff Johnson, Tech Center Research Park
- Marty Kaszubowski, Institute for Innovation and Entrepreneurship at Old Dominion University
- Aaz Mickens-Dessaso, Techstars and Executive Director of 757 Startups
The following companies are already qualified to participate on November 3rd: C.A.S.S.I.E., Green Light Auctions and Pocket Properties App.
“We are thrilled to be serving as the host community for Start Peninsula 2021 and encourage early stage businesses to come validate their ideas and enjoy the energy and moment we’ve built,” said Florence Kingston, Director of Development for the City of Newport News.
Start Peninsula 2021 is hosted by the City of Newport News, in partnership with the Cities of Hampton, Williamsburg and Poquoson and the Counties of James City and York. Start Peninsula has been held annually in different Peninsula localities since 2012. For more information about Start Peninsula please visit its website, Facebook page or the FAQ page.