FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Media Contact: Laura Messer
Nov. 5, 2020 757-253-6607; email@example.com
Winners Announced for Start Peninsula 2020
Following two virtual micro pitch competitions and a final pitch competition, Start Peninsula is pleased to announce its three winners for 2020: Chair One Fitness, Hottrok and Wave Coffee Brewer.
- Chair One Fitness is a comprehensive chair-based dance fitness program created for individuals who have complications standing or are unable to stand during a fitness regimen.
- Hottrok is a performance-based tiling substrate that serves as a radiant heat carrier. It is the only substrate on the market that readily accepts warm wire and has both thermal and acoustic insulating properties.
- Wave Coffee Brewer is a coffee brewing system that works for K-Cups in a microwave oven.
Each winner will receive $5,000 to fuel their business growth and will receive a six month community membership to Launchpad, the Greater Williamsburg Business Incubator. The virtual pitch competition included 10 participants, who had participated in previous events in September and October. The seven other participants will receive a small cash prize for their efforts. All contestants will continue to have access to and gain guidance from local economic development departments.
Pitches were five minutes with a three minute question-and-answer session with the judges. The final event included a keynote from Safety Nailer, who participated in Start Peninsula 2018 and was featured on Shark Tank earlier this year.
- Carlton Campbell, Anthem, Inc. and the City of Hampton Economic Development Authority
- Daniel Clark, 757 Angels
- Ian Frazier, 757 Accelerate
- Rachel Frazier, William & Mary
- William Turner, Wells Fargo and the James City County Economic Development Authority
Start Peninsula builds entrepreneurship on the Peninsula and celebrates our local entrepreneurial ecosystem. The event helps develop early stage businesses – those with a product or service that is still being brought to fruition and connects those entrepreneurs with opportunities to validate their business ideas and earn capital. The event is backed by six regional Economic Development Authorities, who are eager to support entrepreneurship. Start Peninsula began in 2012.
Start Peninsula 2020 was hosted by the Greater Williamsburg area including James City County, the City of Williamsburg and York County, in partnership with the Cities of Hampton, Newport News and Poquoson. For more information about Start Peninsula please visit its website, Facebook page or the FAQ page.